Thursday, March 14, 2013

Queenstown, Adventure Capital of the World


So not surprisingly, I didn’t have the best nights sleep last night.  Maybe it was all the booze, or maybe it was the anxiety of imagining what it’s going to be like to hurl myself out of a perfectly good airplane at 12,000 ft. today, but either way I woke up dragging a bit this morning.

So what do you do to shake the cobwebs from a booze fest the night before?  Why, you go canyoning, of course!  Nothing like a little adrenaline to start the day off.  What exactly is canyoning, you ask?  Well, lots of heart-pumping activities involving a narrow canyon and lots of really cold water in our case.  We suited up in head-to-toe neoprene, harnesses, floatation devices, and helmets with funky names pre-printed on them.   I of course had to choose the helmet with the name “Ke$ha” on it because, well, today we’re living like we’re gonna die young!  

We then scrambled up the side of the canyon as best we could in our crazy neoprene suits and booties, started with a few zip lines across the canyon, then we rappelled down cliffs, jumped off rocks into waterfalls and pools about 30 ft. below, scrambled up and down more cliff walls with ropes and our safeties on our harnesses, swam, floated and waded down the river and over rocks in areas of the canyon where it was only wide enough to fit one person.  All of it was really fun, but my favorite part was where we combined a bunch of these skills into one - we zip lined out and stopped midway over a waterfall pool about 100 feet below, then released from the zip line and rappelled down to the end of the line then dropped about 15-20 ft. into the pool.  All of it was very physical and I was completely knackered* after. 






Canyoning behind us, I then started to get myself mentally prepared for the skydiving trip we booked for the afternoon.  Some of the other people on our canyoning excursion had skydived before, and they were telling us what to expect, but most importantly to remember to keep our eyes open during the free fall (apparently most people close their eyes).  It was a very clear day, so we knew we would have some amazing views of Queenstown and Lake Wakatipu.  

I’m ready to go skydiving, bitch!:

When we arrived back in downtown Queenstown, we made our way over to the skydiving outfitter to confirm our online bookings from the previous night and check in.  That’s when we learned that all skydiving flights that day had been cancelled due to high winds.  I’m not sure whether I was more disappointed or relieved.  It’s not everyday you get up the courage to actually agree to do it and book it, plus this would have been a really awesome place to do it, but I was feeling pretty nervous about the whole thing. So instead we enjoyed a leisurely lunch overlooking Lake Wakatipu and The Remarkables**, then a few other folks got their adrenaline fix by bungy jumping and canyon swinging while I went to a travel agency to book the next part of my NZ trip to the North Island.  Otherwise I would have landed in Auckland 3 days from now with no hotel, no car, and no clue where I was doing for the next six days.  There’s a certain adventure and excitement about traveling that way, but I’ve taken this particular adventure about as far as my anxiety level can tolerate.  And now that I know generally where I’m going next week and how I’m getting there, I can relax and enjoy our last night in Queenstown.  After our fun filled free day, we were treated to a pretty remarkable sunset against The Remarkables:



















Tomorrow we are on to Mt. Cook, our last destination of the trip.  

* - Knackered - that’s Kiwi for “utterly exhausted”.
** - The Remarkables is a mountain range.  And they have a pretty presumptuous name, don’t you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment