Friday, February 15, 2013

Day 26 - Muir Beach. Best of the Best!

Today's hike: Coastal Trail from Muir Beach to Tennessee Cove (out-and-back)
Length: 6.4 miles
Elevation Gain: ~1,600 ft.
Thoughts:  One of my all-time favorites, with stunning views on a clear day.

It's been a long, busy week preparing to head out of town for a while, so after being cooped up indoors in front of my computer or running errands non-stop for several days, today I knew I had to get outside and get in a good hike.  Since today was another clear and warm day, and with only a few days left for training hikes, I decided to revisit a trail I first explored a few years ago and immediately fell in love with.  It's got everything going for it - good distance, rolling terrain which is rarely flat, and a trail that hugs the coast and affords incredible views the entire way.

This trail climbs quickly right out of the parking lot, and it only a few tenths of a mile before you get a great view back down onto Muir Beach.


But that view is just a teaser of what is to come.  As you reach the top of the first uphill climb, the coast south towards San Francisco (and points even further south) comes into view.  Not positive, but I think you can see all the way to Montara and Pillar Point in the very far distance:


After descending down to Pirate's Cove, the trail then starts back uphill, and it pulls no punches.  Stairs - lots of them!:


Reaching the top again, SF and Ocean Beach come clearly into view:


Yep - the weather today was clear enough to see the Farallons, even more distinct today than a few days ago:


The trail then descends steeply down to Tennessee Valley and Tennessee Cove:


After making my way out to Tennessee Cove, I paused to enjoy lunch on the beach with a great view.  There used to be an arch joining these two areas of rock in the picture below, but it collapsed just a few weeks ago at the end of December:


Retracing my steps back up to the Coastal Trail and back to Muir Beach, this time the non-stop views are north towards Point Reyes: 


Yes, of all the trails I've done in the Bay Area over the years, this is definitely one of my all-time favorites.  Can't believe how lucky I was to get to experience it again on such an incredible day!  It was so sunny and warm that I even got my first sunburn of the season.  Good to get my "hiker's tan" off to an early start this year.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment