Friday, February 1, 2013

Day 12 - Golden Gate National Recreation Area/Rodeo Beach

Today's hike:  Golden Gate NRA - Coastal Trail and Hill 88 Loop
Length: 5.5 miles
Elevation gain: 1,000'
Thoughts: A glorious hike on a glorious day!  Does it get any better than this?

Every now and then I have those moments when I am reminded how very lucky I am to live in the SF Bay area.  Today was definitely one of those days.  This was one of those "chamber of commerce" days when it was 70 degrees with beautifully clear blue skies on Feb 1.  And even though I'm fighting a cold which is zapping most of my energy and kept me sidelined for most of Day 11 yesterday, I felt the need to get outside today and enjoy the sunny day with a beautiful hike.

On a clear day during winter in SF there is no better place to enjoy the sun than the Marin Headlands, just across the north side of the Golden Gate Bridge.  During the summer months this area is fogged in, cloudy, windy and very cold, but on warm days during the winter months it makes for some of the most incredible views in the world.  So on a day like today, I selected a hike where I could enjoy everything this area has to offer.  On my way to the hike, I had to stop and take this postcard-worthy shot.  It seriously does not get any better than this (download this picture and save it as your wallpaper - you can thank me later):



After enjoying the views of the GGB with all of the tourists, I finally made my way to the start of the hike.  I didn't realize it until I got to the parking lot, but I've done a portion of this hike before.  The hike begins at Rodeo Beach in the Golden Gate National Recreation Area, just north of the GGB.  The trail climbs very quickly with 1,000' of elevation gain over the first 2.3 miles.  There are a couple of old military batteries along the way, and the views all the way up are absolutely incredible.  When you reach the top of Hill 88, here's the payoff:

South towards Rodeo Beach, SF, Baker Beach and the Golden Gate:


West towards the Pacific and the Farallon Islands (30 miles off the coast of SF), which you can just make out in the center of the screen (click the pic to enlarge - makes it easier to see 'em):



Northeast towards Mt. Tamalpais, Mill Valley and Napa/Sonoma in the far distance:


Northwest towards Point Reyes National Seashore, Tennessee Valley, and Mt. Tam:


After enjoying the views and a leisurely snack, I headed down the backside of Hill 88 and around the lagoon at Rodeo Beach.  Here's a nice shot of the beach, lagoon, and former military barracks at Fort Cronkhite:


Didn't plan it, but I hit the beach right at sunset.  What a fabulous ending to a great hike on an incredible day!


1 comment:

  1. Absolutely amazing pics! I have been there many times but have never seen it on such a clear and beautiful day. You picked a great day! Wish I was there with you!

    ReplyDelete