Monday, February 4, 2013

Day 15 - Elevation day. Treadmill, 15% grade, 5 miles, GO!

Today's "hike":  Treadmill
Length: 5.25 miles
Elevation gain: 3,701'
Thoughts:  Mile 3.5 - 4.5 was painful, but I'm almost there.  I can do this.

Highlights of Superbowl XLVII for me?  3) Since both John and Jim Harbaugh went to my high school and have strong Michigan ties, the "Harbaugh Bowl" was pretty cool;  2) Finally getting the chance at some "Kaepernicking" during the second half (wasn't looking like we'd be doing any after the first half); and 1) Beyonce and D-Child absolutely rocked that halftime show and really turned the lights out on the place.  :-)

After taking a day off to enjoy the Superbowl, today was a pre-scripted elevation gain training day.  I wanted to make sure I made an honest effort to replicate the 5 mile/4,000' gain day which is coming my way in a few weeks, so that meant heading to the gym.  After working my way up to a 15% grade gradually over the first mile, I came pretty darn close (the last 1/4 mile was a cool down with 0% grade).  Now all I have to do is keep working at it and get the grade up just a bit more.  But at least now I know roughly what this day is going to take.  I'll try a few more trips to the gym, and when I get to Aspen I'll find a really steep hike as my final training hike before heading to NZ.

No comments:

Post a Comment