Monday, January 21, 2013

And so it begins...

Have you ever wondered what you would do if you could take four months off of work?  I've thought about it often over the past several years, and finally worked up the courage to make it happen.  Of course I have more things I want to do than will fit into four months, but that is a really unfortunate third-world problem to have, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to do this.

Traveling has been one of my passions for a long time, so it's only natural that I spend a good amount of time doing that over the next few months.  When else do you find you have both the time and means to see the world?  So far I've planned a couple of trips - skiing in Aspen/Snowmass, and several weeks in New Zealand.  The NZ trip includes hiking and/or kayaking every day.  I hike and workout regularly now, but need to be able to hike 2-5 hours/day every day with elevation gains of up to 4,000'.   Not something I currently do on a regular basis.  So for the next few weeks I'll be training for that by exploring the many hiking trails the SF Bay Area has to offer, including lots of new ones I haven't explored before.  Bring it on!

Have recommendations for your favorite hiking trails in the SF Bay Area?  Thoughts on other trips I should consider?  Leave 'em for me in the comments section.

Today's hike: Stanford Dish
Length: 3.7 miles
Elevation gain: about 500'
Thoughts: An easy and familiar start on a beautiful sunny and warm day!

No comments:

Post a Comment